Monday, June 27, 2011

Only One Ewe Retreat - Day 1 (Thursday)

I just got back yesterday from a wonderful weekend trip in Indiana with two of my bestest friends, Diane and Karen, and attending the Only One Ewe retreat. It was 3 busy days (4 if you count a traveling day and YES, it must be counted - details coming soon) where there was plenty of stitching, laughing and more laughing!

Since it was really busy and there is so much I want to share (I took LOTS of photos), I thought I had best break down the update by each day. So, lets start with Thursday - Day 1:

Day 1 started with the alarm clock going off at 3:30 a.m. That is quite early for me and as anyone that knows me will tell you "I'm not a morning person" but if you don't actually fall asleep the night before, it really isn't that bad. I mean, I was excited to be traveling to Indiana, seeing Diane and Karen, meeting new friends, and stitching non-stop. I got up, hit the shower and did my "before I leave" routine so I could be ready to hit the road for the airport at 5:00 a.m. sharp. I checked the computer about 4:30 a.m. and discovered that my flight had been delayed a little over an hour - NOTE TO SELF: Check the flight schedule BEFORE you shower the next time so you can get a little extra sleep, if needed! Got to the airport and took off for my connection in Atlanta.
Arrived in Atlanta and raced to my gate (which involved taking a train, running to the end of the terminal, etc) and then discovered all that hustling wasn't necessary because my flight to Indianapolis was also delayed because of bad weather and my gate had changed to the OTHER end of the terminal.
So, what does a girl do when she has to wait? She stitches!
Now, I was a littled disappointed because my delay in Atlanta meant I wouldn't be able to join Diane and Karen for a LNS excursion when I arrived in Indianapolis. But, bad weather turned into gorgeous weather (temps in the 70's - Whoo Hoo) and I arrived in Indianapolis a little after 2:00 and was excited to see my two buddies waiting on me at baggage claim.
We got me loaded up in the car and headed to Terre Haute, about an hour away. Arrived at the Springhill Marriott and got settled into our rooms and then headed straight down to the conference room to see where the action would be for the weekend. We walked into the room and there was a table set up for three. Now, I don't know if that was the "special guest" table or had word travled all the way to Indiana that the three of us were INDEED SPECIAL!! LOL.
Thursday was mainly a day to get settled into your room and get your stitching area set up and to meet your new retreat friends. But, we did find a moment - almost immediately after arriving! - to visit Jan's room (our retreat host from Tree of Life Samplings) and to DRRROOOOOLLLL all over her wonderful collection of exclusive hand dyed linens (and her designs and other shop items that a cross stitcher NEEDS!). These linens are wonderful! They have such names as Caramel Frappe, Hazel Nut, Pistachio Nut, Sugared Almond.......and they smell so good too. I like these linens (available in 28, 32 and 40 count) because the color is "saturated". They have almost no "splotching" but they still carry that hand-dyed look. Jan also designed an exclusive retreat piece for us that was kitted up with her great linen, threads and was packaged in a beautiful hand sewn fabric portfolio pouch.
Jan also brought in her design models for us to see up close. As always, seeing models vs. a pattern picture is always so much better! We even got to see a "soon to be released" and "gotta have" model which I believe is called "Penny Freedom"??? (pictured here on the left):
It was a LONG day so we headed to bed a little after 10:00 p.m. so we would be well rested and ready for Day 2 but not before I gave Diane and Karen their two little gifties.....If you remember from reading my blog, I had posted that I was working on a "design" where I would take motifs from patterns and come up with a new design. Well, I took some motifs from Drawn Thread, Shepherds Bush and Rosewood Manor and made these Altoid pin keeps. I have made several of these in the past and I have to say, these are my favorite to date! I've got to get busy and get mine made!

Stay tuned for details on Day 2!!


Michele said...

Loved reading about Day 1! Can't wait to hear about Day 2 :) Love the tins!!!

Nicole said...

Your trip looks like so much fun!!! Lucky you for getting away!! I'm envious! :)

Mouse said...

oooo looks like you had loads of fun even if you were delayed .. and love those tins :) fancy making a wee mouse one heheheh (I know very cheeky love mouse xxx

Mama Joan said...

Looks like a great time. Wish I could have been there.

Deborah said...

Sounds like a great time! Can't wait to hear about day2.

Charlene ♥ SC said...

What a great start, even with a few delays! Great samples, and beautifully done gifties!! Waiting ofr the rest of the adventure...

Cathy B said...

Was so excited when I saw that you had a retreat post. Can't wait to hear about Day Two!

Vonna said...

Those altoid tins were gorgeous, lovely and totally wonderful Yvonne! Perfect little treasure boxes!!